- Author – Paulo Coelho
- Eleven minutes – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Coelho
- Category – Non Fiction
- My rating – 4 on 5
So, why did i pick this book up ? I want to believe that it is another incident where the soul of the universe always shows the path … when you seek answers, you realize that the answer seeks the seeker!
I have been thinking about what is right & wrong relationship and what works & fails in human relationships – result of few counselling assignment at work – I end up listening to the younger generation’s complex personal relationships when it overlaps with professional environments – complex relationships with the first circle of family, relatives, friends, colleagues, neighbours – how relationships change over time and why relationship is all about how you feel about the other person – why everything is fair in love and war – and why there are no rights or wrongs – and why the most important thing is related to heart and not to anything physical – and why the society needs a framework in which physical relationships had to be given more importance over everything else!
At the outset, from my perspective, it can be a bit of a sticky book to refer in a conservative society (it can be even offensive to some!) – this book uses”not-so-conservative” but realistic characters/ situations to explain relationships. If you appreciate Paulo Coelho’s spiritual perspective, you will find those all over this book – you will believe that there is this universal soul which each one of us are part of and the answer seeks the seeker. The story revolves around the life of a young women who seeks answers – this book will resonate with those who have the ability to appreciate the human nature and the universal fact that both right and wrong co-exists, both evil and good co-exists and the final realization that there is nothing called right or wrong and nothing belongs to us.
Few of the quotes which i want to remember…
- She also noted that she associated love with the person’s absence than with their presence
- Freedom only exists when love is present
- The person who gives him or herself wholly, the person who feels freest, is the person who loves most wholeheartedly
- The great aim of every human being is to understand the meaning of total love. Love is not to be found in someone else, but in ourselves; we simply awaken it. But in order to do that, we need another person
- She knows this love was impossible, and yet expecting nothing, she could nevertheless have everything she hoped for from that particular stage of life
- Does the world want me to take “no” risks, to go back where I came from because I did not have the courage to say YES to life?
- Sometimes you no second chance and that it is best to accept the gifts the world offers you
- Anyone who has lost something they thought was theirs forever finally comes to realise that nothing really belongs to them – And if nothing belongs to me there is no point wasting my time looking after things that are not mine; it is best to live as if today were the first (or last) day of my life
- Dreaming is very pleasant as long as you are not forced your dreams into practice.That way, we avoid all risks, frustations and difficulties and when we are old we can always blame other people – preferably our parents, spouses, children – for our failure to realize our dreams
- The true experience of freedom – having the most important thing in the world without owning it
- Time exists in two dimensions – it can be so quick or so slow – depending on one’s state of mind
- I will at last have gained one happy day in my life, considering the way world is, one happy day is almost a miracle
- The universe only makes sense when we have someone to share our feelings with
- Passion makes a person stop eating, sleeping, working, feeling at peace. No one wants their life to be thrown into chaos. That is why a lot of people keep that threat of passion under control (Keeping passion at bay or surrendering blindly to it – which of the two attitudes is least destructive?)
- Desire is not what you see, but what you imagine
- Could I buy back a few hours of my life? We keep putting up with horrible people,waiting for that right moment to arrive, postponing the realization of dreams
- When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being whom I am, I found myself. When I experienced. humiliation and submission, I am free
- What thrilled her about the bird was his freedom, the energy of his wings in motion, not his physical body
About men and women
- All girls are looking for one of the three things – adventure, money or husband
- I was unfaithful and.so were they, just like any other normal couple
- Resonates with any woman – there are three inside any women – innocent girl, femme fatale and understanding mother
- Men always take fright when a woman says “I need you” (i think it works the other way when it comes to patriarchical society – men want women to be dependent??)